Worshipping from Home: Reflect on the Sunday Mass readings
Encounter: Encounter God in the beauty of his creation
Go for a walk around your neighborhood or in a nature-filled area. Take time to breathe in the air and thank God for the goodness of His creation. Try to discover new life, signs of spring and signs of hope. Take comfort that God is in control, planting and growing beauty around us. After your time outside, ask each family member how they encountered God during that time. You can close the discussion with a prayer thanking God for this family time with Him. To connect with other families in this activity, post a picture from your walk with the tag #SpiritualCloseness on social media.
Grow: Pray for those affected by Coronavirus
Join Mercy Through Mary, a National Young Adult Outreach of the Mary and Mercy Center in Ave Maria, Florida to pray for those affected by the coronavirus. The center is leading a 54-day Divine Mercy Chaplet novena for the souls of the dying, healing of the sick, the return of souls to the Church, and an end to the coronavirus! Unite with Catholics around the country and the world to daily ask for God’s mercy to be poured down upon us and on the whole world. Don’t worry that it’s already begun, join as soon as you can!
Witness: Post a sign of encouragement on your window
Post a sign in your front window with a Scripture verse to offer encouragement to others. Consider changing the verse each week.
- “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
- “The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.” Exodus 15:2
- “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7
Encounter: Mini-Retreat for the Family
This is an opportunity to take a short break for prayer and Scripture reflection using your computer or your smartphone. The retreat is intended to be around 3 minutes, but you control the pace as you experience the retreat. Take time to discuss the daily reflection with one another.
More information: www.loyolapress.com/3-minute-retreats-daily-online-prayer
Grow: Stations of the Cross
Pray the Stations of the Cross at home as a family. Consider one of the following ideas:
- Design your own Stations of the Cross. You can download coloring pages of the cross and invite children to color them or make your own stations. Hang the stations around your house and pray at the stations using one of the resources below.
- Alternatively, you can set up 14 candles on your dinner table. Light one candle as you begin each station.
Witness: Share Messages of Faith via the Mail
Have each member of your family write a letter (or draw a picture) of gratitude and/or encouragement to a member of your community who has worked to bring Christ into your home. Consider reaching out to your godparents, Confirmation sponsors, a teacher, a catechist, a priest live-streaming Mass for you, or a family member or neighbor helping with food and supplies.